Hakuna matata route – 5 Days Rongai Route hiking
-Rongai route approaches Mount Kilimanjaro from Eastern side, marking a border to Kenya country.
-Driving distance from Moshi town to Rongai route is 2hrs (110km)
-It’s an easy route on Kilimanjaro even for beginners.
-It joins Marangu route on 3rd day at Kibo hut camp.
-Accommodation is through tents camping
-On first day trail, wild animal like Antelope, Elephant, Buffalo and Monkeys can be seen.
-Trekkers are more likely to get clearly unclouded view of the Mountain.
-Due to its remoteness, Rongai route receives the least traffic compared to the rest of the routes.
-Descending route is through Marangu route.
TRIP – ITINERARY
DAY 00: ARRIVALS
Upon your arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport, you’ll meet our office representative, followed by an hour drive to the hotel in Moshi Town. After having a short rest at the hotel, our mountain guide will meet you to check with your climbing gear and equipment. If some gears will be missing, our guide will help you on how to rent those missing gears from the rental shops.
Day 01: Rongai gate to Simba camp
Long drive from Moshi town to Marangu gate for registration then to Rongai gate (1990amsl) starting point. Trek begins from Nale Moru village before entering mountain rain forest. First day hiking is very easy; on the way expect to see wild animals like Elephant and Buffalos.
Day 02: Hiking from Simba camp to Mawenzi tarn via Kikelewa tarn.
Long day hike, having a rest mid way at Kikelewa tarn for hut lunch, reaching the camp early evening, rest, dinner and overnight.
Day 03: Hike from Mawenzi tarn to Kibo hut camp, summit overnight.
Descend from summit, hike down to Kibo hut for breakfast then continue to descend to Horombo hut camp for rest, dinner and overnight.
Hike down from Horombo hut camp to Marangu gate via Mandara hut camp, sign out the park, receive certificates and drive to Moshi town for rest and continue with other schedules.
PRICE CHARGED FOR THIS TOUR
- $ 1700 per single person
- $ 1500 per group sharing
- Airport transfer on arrival and departure day
- 2 nights comfort stay in lodge the day before and after climbing.
- Transport to and from Mountain
- All park entrance fee +18% VAT
- All park accommodation fee + 18% VAT
- Park rescue fee
- Food on the mountain (3-meals a day)
- Non personal hiking equipment and gears
- Salary to guide, cook, and the crew.
- Personal hiking gear and rentals
- Other personal expenses out of the mentioned above.
ESSENTIAL MOUNTAIN CLIMBING GEARS
50L waterproof duffle, small-size backpack, warm clothes including trouser, sweater, thermal underwear, and enough pair of warm socks, Balaclava, snow goggles, or ski sun glasses and scarf, waterproof layers, sun roof hat, warm sleeping bag, mattress, warm jacket, and a pair of gloves. Comfort mountain boots, and walking poles, Sun cream, first aid kit, a knapsack, a pair of getters and water-bottle, minimum 2litres each.
Mount Kilimanjaro climb: Tips for safe and successful Kilimanjaro summit.
- Choose the best route that offers good acclimatization, oxygen decreases as you climb to higher elevation, choose the routes that offer the acclimatization throughout to avoid the possibility of experiencing higher altitude mountain sickness. In this case Rongai, Lemosho, and Machame routes are highly recommended.
- Be well prepared and full equipped for Kilimanjaro trekking, do not forget to carry all necessary trekking equipments and gears. Remember, weather in the mountain is not precisely predictable; having with you the all weather gears is the best decision.
- Do not carry too much heavy day-pack. Most of your item luggage will be carried by Kilimanjaro porters; you will just carry your light day pack bag, which contains the most necessary personal use for a day only.
- Listen carefully to your guide, do not ignore the little advice from your guide, our Kilimanjaro guides are having more than 10-years experience, they have a broad working knowledge of Mount Kilimanjaro, please listen to what they direct you to do.
- Eat enough food and drink more water so that your body won’t run out of energy, long day working requires body energy, make sure you eat as much as you can. Do not forget to go to bed early so that you will wake up with new energy to continue climbing.
- Choose the best time to climb Mount Kilimanjaro. Your chance to summit Kilimanjaro peak is highly influenced by the external factors like bad weather, knowing the best time to go for Kilimanjaro trekking will help you plan your adventure accordingly.
Best time of the year to go for Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing:
- June to October-peak of high season, most of the Kilimanjaro routes and hotels are crowded.
- October to December-Most of the Kilimanjaro routes are less crowded, this season may be associated with seasonal rainfall so not that much good for climbing.
December to end of February-High season most of the routes and hotels are crowded.
- March to early of June-Low season, it’s the peak of the wet season as these months are associated with heavy rainfalls so not ideal for climbing.