Rongai route approaches Mount Kilimanjaro from Eastern side, marking a border to Kenya country.
Driving distance from Moshi town to Rongai route is 2hrs (110km)
- It’s an easy route even for beginners.
- It joins Marangu route on 3rd day at Kibo hut camp.
- Accommodation is through tents camping
- On first day trail, wild animal like Antelope, Elephant, Buffalo and Monkeys can be seen.
- Trekkers are more likely to get clearly unclouded view of the Mountain.
- Due to its remoteness, Rongai route receives the least traffic compared to the rest of the routes.
- Descending route is through Marangu route.
Price: $1700 per person hiking privately.
$1500per person per group sharing.
- Airport transfer on arrival and departure day
- 2 nights comfort stay in hotel/lodge
- Transport to and from Mountain
- All park entrance fee +18% VAT
- All park accommodation fee + 18% VAT
- Park rescue fee
- Food on the mountain (3-meals a day)
- Non personal hiking equipment and gears
- Salary to guide, cook and the crew.
- Personal hiking gears and rentals
- Other personal expenses out of the mentioned above.
ESSENTIAL MOUNTAIN CLIMBING GEARS
- Warm clothes including trouser, sweater, thermal underwear and enough pair of warm socks.
- Balaclava, snow goggles or ski sun glasses and scarf.
- Water proof layers, sun roof hat, warm sleeping bag, mattress, warm jacket and pair of gloves.
- Comfort mountain boots and walking poles
- Sun cream, first aid kit, knapsack, pair of getters and water bottle minimum 2litres each.
Detailed itinerary for 5 Days Rongai Route Climb
Day 01: Rongai gate to Simba camp
Long drive from Moshi town to Marangu gate for registration then to Rongai gate (1990amsl) starting point. Trek begins from Nale Moru village before entering mountain rain forest. First day hiking is very easy; on the way expect to see wild animals like Elephant and Buffalos.
Day 02: Hiking from Simba camp to Mawenzi tarn via Kikelewa tarn.
Long day hike, having a rest mid way at Kikelewa tarn for hut lunch, reaching the camp early evening, rest, dinner and overnight.
Day 03: Hike from Mawenzi tarn to Kibo hut camp, summit overnight.
Day 04: Descend from summit, hike down to Kibo hut for breakfast then continue to descend to Horombo hut camp for rest, dinner and overnight.
Day 05: Hike down from Horombo hut camp to Marangu gate via Mandara hut camp, sign out the park, receive certificates and drive to Moshi town for rest and continue with other schedules.